2017 CONGRESS VENUE
The Main Congress Venue – Captain Miša’s Mansion
Captain Miša’s Edifice, at Students’ Square 1, was built between 1858 and 1863 as a private palace of Miša Anastasijević, the “Danube Captain”, and one of the wealthiest persons in Serbia at the time.
It was designed by a Czech, Jan Nevole, who also left behind a number of other architectural works around Belgrade. Built as a palace, it was presented as a gift to the Serbian people for educational and cultural purposes (the inscription on the main façade states – “Miša Anastasijević to his fatherland”). It was the greatest and most beautiful mansion in Serbia at the time.
Its architecture represents a mix of various styles, cultures and epochs, mostly presenting elements of renaissance and romanticism. In accordance with the wishes of the donor, the building housed nearly all significant educational and cultural institutions in the Principality of Serbia – the Ministry of Education, the Great School (which was soon to become the University of Belgrade), the First Belgrade Gymnasium, the National Museum, a gallery of paintings and a library.
The Ceremonial Hall was occasionally used for sessions of the National Assembly (1864-1875) and the Senate (1901-1903). It stands for one of the most beautiful ceremonial halls in the country.
The building now houses the Rectorate of the University of Belgrade and parts of the Faculty of Philosophy and Faculty of Philology.
Captain Miša's Edifice was declared Cultural Monument of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
For more information on Belgrade’s architecture, please visit the official website of the Tourist Organization of Belgrade.
Read more about cultural properties in Belgrade at: http://beogradskonasledje.rs/kd/zavod/index.html